Brymo Proves Talk's About his Album #TheSonOfaKapenta [Album Review]



After a number of scene-stealing cameos and award winning hooks, BrymO delivers his highly anticipated album The Son of A Kapenta.  This is BrymO’s second go around on the LP circuit, with his debut album being a commercial success, despite producing the minor hit ‘Shawty.’
Now on Chocolate City, BrymO’s distinct voice is one of the popular voices in today’s music scene. His hit singles ‘Ara’ and ‘Good Morning’ have teased the public for close to a year. With such anticipation and a track record, including the near-classic chorus on ‘Oleku’, does BrymO deliver on his sophomore?
At first listen, it’s obvious that BrymO is highly artistic, choosing a unique sound framework for SOAK,rather than using beats that are safe. For the commercial minded, this might throw you off at first, but after a couple of spins, BrymO’s voice will enchant you on several tracks. His major selling point is his voice; the beat is just an accessory.
“I’m on a rendezvous with destiny; I’m searching for some pedigree. I hope you don’t mind that ain’t nobody stopping me” he sings on the impressive interlude ‘Rendezvous,’ which should have been given full-length status. On the album’s opener, ‘1986,’ he reminisces on the sacrifices his mother made for him to be where he is today.
BrymO chooses to express himself commercially through EDM (Electronic Dance Music). The EDM songs are slightly doctored to suit the Nigerian audience. Several songs on the album, such as ‘Go Hard’, ‘Akara’, and ‘Your Love’ ensure that SOAK gets enough spins on the all important dance floor.
If you are looking for a hit in the form of ‘Good Morning’ or ‘Ara’ on this LP, you won’t. ‘Omoge Campus’ is a unique single worthy song that boasts of a contemporary highlife feel. “Teach me how to love you; I place no one above you. Sebi one plus one na two, me and you we breaking the rules” sings BrymO on the E Kelly produced song.
For the other half of the album, Ibrahim Ashimi Olawale chooses to sing about love and life. “If dem dey vex make dem go chop stone. I no dey bother, me I just dey go. O ya kalo” sings Brymo about doing his own thing and not caring what other people think on ‘Life Is Too Short.’
“If you ask me, I’ll deny but the truth girl is in my eyes. I just dey think about your smile, I no fit shout, I’m loving you…if you were mine” he sings on ‘If You Were Mine,’ which introduces the love theme on the album. The Choc City singer ponders if the woman he is interested in will catch him when he falls. “I’m flying real high, I no dey compromise but the problem be say gravity no dey think am twice. But If I fall, I’m hoping you gon’ catch me and if I fall promise me that you won’t let me. I’m not afraid to try, I’m praying nothing stops me” sings BrymO as his stretches his vocal muscles.
Considering the fact that he is one of the country’s hook masters, one would have expected The Son of A Kapenta to have enough killer hooks. Surprisingly, he goes the other way by composing songs that are well thought out and layered. On most songs, the hooks link the verses and don’t distract you from the concept of the song. Minus the obligatory Choc City song ‘Chocolate’ BrymO there is no song that doesn’t hit home on the LP.
Being the son of a carpenter has clearly helped BrymO knock together different sounds, choruses, verses and ideas to create an album worthy of his status. He delivers on his sophomore album by quietly proving that he is more than 8 bars of hooks. The Son of A Kapenta has built a well-polished, solid piece of auditory furniture.
Artiste-BrymO
Album- The Son of A Kapenta 
Producers- E Kelly, Mikky Me, Legendary Beatz, Jesse ‘Jagz’ Abaga, Blaze, DMM Oluremi, Kid Konnect
Features- Jesse Jagz, Ice Prince, Pryse, M.I, Efya
Label- Chocolate City


Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment