Teddy Otieno an Outstanding Prsenter in an exclusive chat with Topstories Magazine


Topstories Magazine caught up with Teddy Otieno one of Kenya's best presenter and when asked to describe who he is, this was his response.

"Teddy Otieno is a second born to the greatest parents I would have ever wished for, a younger brother to an amazing man, and a big brother to two lovely daughters of my mother. I am my family and my family is me". What an inspiring description. Get to know him more as our correspondent chatted him.


By Erick Mutinda 

Why did you choose to be a radio presenter?

I believe God chose this profession for me. He gave me a good voice and the brains for it. He has literally made way for me, and I fail to disappoint Him. So when He gave me a chance to be living proof of Him, I took it up. I’m not fit enough to choose how I want to live this life.

How was your first day in the field?

My first day in the field was intense. Though I had some experience from my campus radio days at USIU-Africa, this was on a completely different level. I almost quit months on. But then again, I remembered how but I wanted to be on radio, and the motivation steered me on, daily.

How did you launch a career in broadcasting?

My very first professional experience was launched on the very first day I attended journalism class. I initially wanted to do print since I tend to have my way with words, but I sought a new challenge. Eventually, USIU Radio called for auditions, and I put under a mentorship programme. A very good friend and a brother, Prince Nesta guided me through the initial stages and to date, he still remains one of the most talented guys I have met on radio.

What’s been your career highlight since your entry into the media world?

My career highlight has been being on national radio. Having worked for two leading media organizations, I have met professionals, who have shared a lot with me, inspired many and developed an urge to beat my potential.   

You're currently working for hot 96 a fast  growing radio,
 how is it to be there and why is it outstanding than your previous job ?

Well, being at Hot 96 has given me a whole new experience. There are more youthful presenters and colleagues here than my previous place of work- Nation FM. I also apprize the fact that it is a fast-growing station, which makes it a concrete jungle for budding journalists. But all the same, I value every step in career growth and Nation FM gave me a worthwhile experience as well
.
What do you love about your career?

What I love most about my career is the fact that I am able to interact with the masses. I have reconnected with long lost friends, dined with the high and mighty, but still identified with the meek and lowly. 

And what would you change if you could?

If there’s anything I could change, that would be creation of opportunity. There are so many talented young men and women who would love to do what I do, but lack the chance. I always put myself in their shoes and guide them as much as I can.

Where would you like to see your career in three years’ time?

I would love to see a well groomed journalist in three years’ time. Go international if it’s in God’s plan, but above all remain humble.

Who inspires you?

Since inspiration has many faces, many people do inspire me. To be honest, most of them are not famous, but they lived lives that I admire. My paternal grandparents did not go to school, but they spoke English and took their children to school. That’s inspiration. My maternal grandparents worked in the medical field, saved lives. That’s inspiration. My parents have raised four obstinate kids. Well, that too is inspiration. But in terms of worldview I admire US President Barack Obama- who rose from nothing to a world figure. I will one day be the Obama of Africa.

What one thing that we don’t know about you?

What people don’t know about me is that I love praying. Every morning, I take time to connect with God. I seek wisdom from Him, enough wisdom for the day at least. I also do poetry, and I can literally write about anything at any given time.

What are your best moments?

My best moments are defined by some renewed energy. Through success, especially. Every little success to me is a big win. Being around family and friends also matters.

If not working what do you do?

When I am not working, I attend to my hobbies. I love writing a lot and with that, I pen pieces for Afrika Reporter, an African online newspaper which I also run as the Chief Executive Officer. I am also a Communications Director at Inteco Limited and a voice over artist.

What advice would you give to that young person outside there trying to chase his media dream?

One thing I will tell every young person who wants to be in media, work for it. Be so good that they won’t resist you. Do not wait to be pushed, be at the top of your peers. Do not just be outstanding, stand out!

You also work with Inteco Limited, briefly tell us about what Inteco is?

Inteco is a company which provides sanitary dispenser services. It is the brainchild of our CEO Munira Twahir. The ultimate goal of Inteco Limited is to better reproductive and sexual health amongst Kenyan women. I do all the communications work for the team. In May 2014 the very first sanitary towel was installed in a regional organization courtesy of Inteco. We are now in talks with the Gender Affairs Department under Gender Principal Secretary Zenab Hussein, who is really encouraging our growth. The machine is designed to dispense a single pad when fed a Sh10 coin.

What are some of the show you have hosted since your entry in the radio?

Since I gained entry, I have hosted a reggae show back in USIU-Africa. I went on to host a Jazz show with my American Professor Walter Allen. At Nation FM, besides being a news anchor, I doubled up as a swing presenter and used to host the sports show once in a while. I then started my own show- The Tech Show before moving to Hot 96 where I anchor news. 

What is your insight about the media industry today?

The media industry today is dynamic. There are so many avenues of generating media content that the youth can explore and it keeps growing by the day. 

Any regrets in career?

My greatest regret would be waking up so early. I used to love my sleep. But now I think of people as crazy when they get up at 5 or 6 in the morning, since I am usually up by 2:45 a.m. every single day. But one day, it will eventually pay off.

Whats your partying shot?

To be the future version of me.
Attachments area
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment